Beaver Dam School District Delaying Some Fall Sports Until Spring

(Beaver Dam) The Beaver Dam School District is delaying moderate to high risk fall sports until the spring. That according to a press release from the district sent out Tuesday evening.


Read the full press release here:

On August 25 at approximately 4:30pm the Dodge County Health Department sent a letter to the school districts within its boundaries recommending a postponement to the start of moderate to high risk sports (boys’ soccer, volleyball, and football).

In this letter, Dodge County Public Health Officer Abby Sauer states, “In light of the COVID -19 activity in our community, I advise school districts to successfully accomplish in person education for four weeks without high or moderate risk co-curricular activities that includes sports. Upon completion of this period, as a County Health Department, in partnership with you and school leadership, we will review the COVID-19 activity in your school district along with surrounding communities and make a recommendation for the potential introduction of co-curricular activities.”

This recommendation would change the start date from September 7th to October 1 further truncating the fall opportunity for our student-athletes.

Our district maintains frequent communication with Dodge County Health Department officials and takes the guidance and recommendations provided very seriously. As such, our district will adhere to these health recommendations and have decided to forgo the fall season for our moderate to high risk sports (boys’ soccer, volleyball, and football) as recommended.

As a result of this impact, we will move forward with planning and considerations related to the potential alternative opportunities provided to school districts by the WIAA in the early spring. In addition will be providing opportunities for all our students, especially the student-athletes directly affected by this change, to stay involved in our school community and continue to train for their sports. Opportunities will be provided in strength and conditioning for possible lettering options. More information is forthcoming.

This change is bound to have an effect on our student-athletes who will cope in a variety of different ways. If you feel your student-athlete needs assistance in processing or managing this change, please feel free to reach out.

We share your possible frustration and sadness about this turn of events and will keep our families, students and community members informed of any pertinent updates.

Superintendent DiStefano states, “I am disappointed in the reality of this latest adjustment we are compelled to make, but appreciative for the leadership and shared desire of our county partners to do all we can to proactively support continuing in-person learning as much as possible. The pandemic continues to create challenging dynamics for all of us to navigate as a Beaver Dam family. We need to do all we can to stay positive and as a community we must all continue the efforts to do our part and contribute to positive outcomes in responding to COVID19.”