Pets Perish In Beaver Dam House Fire

(Beaver Dam) Several pets perished in a house fire in Beaver Dam Thursday morning. Crews responded to 123 Gould Street at 9:45am following a report by the homeowner, who indicated that multiple animals were trapped inside. Units arrived to find light smoke coming from the backside on the second floor of the two-story, single family home.

Fire Chief Alan Mannel says no one was home at the time the blaze broke out. Property owner Ronald Gaspardo came home to discover the fire and told emergency officials that there were several dogs, cats, and a parrot still in the home.

Mannel says his team quickly extinguished the flames in a second floor bedroom with a single hose line. Five deceased dogs and a parrot were found in another bedroom on the second floor. Firefighters were able to successfully rescue three other dogs. One cat eluded capture but was seen by the homeowner after the fire was extinguished. The other two cats remain unaccounted for.

The Beaver Dam Fire and Rescue Department was assisted by the Beaver Dam Police Department, Dodge County dispatch, the Dodge County Humane Society, and Alliant Energy. No injuries were reported. Crews remained on the scene for about one hour. The cause is under routine investigation in conjunction with the Beaver Dam Police Department.