News – March 8th, 2010

Investigation Into Game Stop Robberies Continues

3/8/10 – Authorities continue their investigation into the connection between the armed robbery at the Game Stop in Beaver Dam in January and the fatal shooting of a suspect following a Game Stop robbery in suburban Milwaukee last month. Beaver Dam Police Lt. John Kreuzinger told us on WBEV’s Community Comment that while the description and MO appear to match, it’s important for investigators not to jump to conclusions, especially when there are still suspects that have yet to be apprehended. Fox Point Police were called to the Milwaukee Game Stop on February 16. Officers tracked down the suspect on a street in Glendale and they say the robber opened fire on them. Officers returned fire, and the suspect died at the scene of an apparent gunshot wound. No officers were hurt.

Future of Teen Center Uncertain

3/8/10 – The future of the Teen Center of Beaver Dam remains uncertain as organizers closed the doors of the facility last week. The future of its parent organization “High Expectations” is also unknown. High Expectations Executive Director Ruth Lindegarde says they ran out of money. While a few remaining program will be operated out of the South Spring Street building, the High Expectation offices on Park Avenue are empty. Lindegarde says grant funding ran out and fundraising efforts were not successful. She says after being turned down for 12 grants last year, support from the community will be needed to reopen the doors. The Teen Center’s operating costs for 2009 were $159,000. Over 700 kids were signed-up as members of the Teen Center, and there were 250 to 300 teens who actively attended the facility.

Bedker Pleased With Luedtke Sentence

3/8/10 – Dodge County District Attorney Bill Bedker says he was pleased with the 13 year prison sentence handed down Friday to a Lomira man who molested a young girl over a six-year period. Maynard Luedtke pleaded “no contest” to a felony charge in December. The 61-year-old sexually assaulted the girl on numerous occasions between 2002 and ending in 2007, when she came forward to school officials. Judge Steven Bauer told Luedtke at sentencing that his actions were “sickening” and that he had a “warped sense of what went on.” Luedtke was also sentenced to 12 years of extended supervision.