Fire Destroys Detached Garage In Portage

(Portage) A detached garage in Portage was destroyed by fire Tuesday afternoon. The Portage Fire Department was dispatched to W10488 Rowley Road around 1:30pm. Upon arrival, crews encountered heavy fire conditions with the structure fully involved and the side of a nearby house impacted.

Fire Chief Troy Haase says his department attacked the shed fire, but the building was a total loss. He says the owners helped keep the fire on the house in check, until they arrived and extinguished the blaze.

There were no injuries. The cause of the fire was due to improper disposal of ashes. Fire officials remind citizens to wet down their ashes before discarding them in a garage can or a combustible container.