Waupun Responds To Gas Leak Fire

11/29/17 – The Waupun Community Fire Department responded to a gas leak and fire Wednesday morning in the Town of Trenton. Crews were dispatched around 8:30am to Highway 68 and VerHage Road after reports of a gas valve on fire.  Fire Chief BJ DeMaa says upon arrival, flames forty-to-fifty-feet high were visible coming from a vent stack.  Highway 68 and VerHage Road were closed for approximately two hours while the gas supply was shut off and pressure was drained from the line.  Two properties were evacuated as a precaution and between ten and 15 customers lost gas service. No buildings were affected but a communications line was damaged by the fire. There were no injuries. DeMaa says the incident started when Alliant Energy was working on a gas line along the west side of VerHage Road and gas contacted an ignition source then began to burn. The chief says the initial investigation suggests that a shutoff valve located on the main line running along Highway 68 malfunctioned and did not close properly.  The failure resulted in gas continuing to feed the line being worked on alongside VerHage Road.  All roads were opened and firefighters cleared the scene around 10:45am.