Two Transported Following Chlorine Release At Saputo Cheese

(Alto) An accidental chemical release at Saputo Cheese in Alto sent two people to the hospital Thursday morning. Multiple agencies responded at 7:37am, closing the roadway and evacuating the plant along with ten nearby homes. The Fond du Lac County Sheriff’s Office says two employees were switching chlorine cylinders when they were exposed to the chemical and had difficulty breathing.  They were transported to Waupun Memorial Hospital by LifeStar Ambulance for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries. Johnson School Bus Service transported the other approximately 125 employees to the Alto Community Center. The Fond du Lac Fire Rescue HAZMAT team managed the chemical release. The building was ventilated, the evacuation order lifted, the roadway re-opened and the scene was released back to Saputo staff around 2:40pm. Fire Departments responding to the scene included: Alto, Fond du Lac, Brandon-Fairwater, Beaver Dam, Brownsville, Markesan, Waupun, and Rosendale.