Several Homes Briefly Evacuated Due To Gas Leak In Stoughton

(Stoughton) Fire officials say several homes in the Dane County city of Stoughton had to be briefly evacuated Friday morning because of a gas leak. Stoughton Fire Department officials say a contractor struck a three-inch gas line at an address on Henry Street at about 9:45 A-M. A Dane County dispatcher said multiple callers in the area reported smelling gas. Fire officials say between nine and 15 homes were evacuated and electricity was shut down several blocks out in each direction from the gas line rupture. Alliant Energy was able to control the leak just before 11 A-M. The Stoughton Fire Department and The Dane County Sheriff’s Department are investigating.