Portage Plant Evacuated Over Elevated Carbon Monoxide Levels

(Portage) Workers at a plant in Portage had to be evacuated Wednesday, with several taken to the hospital in ambulances.  A spokesman for the Portage Fire Department reports very high levels of carbon monoxide were detected inside Dawn’s Fresh Foods at 800 parts-per-million — up to 200 times the normal level.  A problem with a water heater may have caused the “very dangerous situation,” though that hasn’t been confirmed.  One person in the plant noticed the problem and worked quickly to get everybody outside.