Portage Home Damaged By Fire Wednesday

(Portage) A Portage home was damaged by fire Wednesday evening. Crews were called to 612 East Conant Street around 5:20pm. Upon arrival, smoke and fire was coming from the exterior of the structure. Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze before it extended to any neighboring homes. No injuries were reported. The cause of the fire was from a burn pit not fully extinguished before those who used it left the area. Fire Chief Troy Haase says his department will be in the neighborhood to canvass the area and spread the word about the importance of fire prevention and escape planning.