Portage Fire Department Extinguishes Kitchen Fire Friday

(Portage) The Portage Fire Department was able to prevent a kitchen fire from spreading at a multi-family home yesterday. Crews were dispatched around 12:42pm to 927 Klemp Street and found light smoke showing from the exterior of the two-story residence. Fire Chief Troy Haase says the tenant was cooking on the stove when she saw flames and smoke from the stovetop. He says she evacuated the building with her child, but not before pulling the fire alarm to alert other residents. Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze before it left the stove. No residents were displaced, and no injuries were reported. Haase says the cause was from a pressure cooker sitting on the stove burner when it was accidently turned on.