(Portage) Portage Police and Fire were dispatched on Wednesday July 7 at 6:51pm to the vicinity of Averbeck and Volk Street for reports of a male employee of CP Rail who may have inhaled toxic fumes. Reports indicate the employee was working around the railcars when he began to experience medical issues. Upon arrival Portage Fire met with City Police and CP Rail personnel in their efforts to locate the rail car that may have released a toxic gas. Aspirus MedEvac was treating the CP Rail employee.
Portage Police and the Emergency Management Team contacted residents in the vicinity asking them to shelter in place while incident command implemented a plan to enter and do reconnaissance after receiving advice from the city of Madison Hazardous Materials team and the CP Rail Hazardous Material Officer. Responders were not able to detect any readings of a hazardous chemical and it was determined the threat to life and safety had been resolved. Aspirus MedEvac transported one individual to the hospital, no other injuries were reported.