(Kenosha) Attorney General Josh Kaul has provided an update on the Department of Justice investigation into the shooting of Jacob Blake by Kenosha police officer Rusten Sheskey, which he says is moving along swiftly. Kaul says if the decision is not to bring charges, then it will be clear what the information was that led to that decision. So far investigators have interviewed 80 witnesses, collected over 100 evidence items, reviewed 28 videos and issued four search warrants. Investigators have worked more than 600 hours. – WRN
(Kenosha) President Donald Trump said federal money will be provided for Kenosha, to help the city and its businesses recover from last week’s looting and damage. Trump also promised “over 42 million dollars to support public safety statewide.” He said that would go to law enforcement, as well as for additional prosecutors and resources to provide services to crime victims. – WRN
(Madison) A 26-year-old man accused of an arson attack on a government building in Madison has been bound over for trial. Marquon Clark faces two felony counts of criminal damage to property. Prosecutors say he was involved in the tearing down of two statues that were standing outside the Wisconsin Capitol, and also threw a Molotov cocktail at the City-County Building. Investigators were able to identify him by checking footage from city surveillance cameras. – WRN
(Portage) Four people from Portage have been arrested and are facing various drug related charges. On Tuesday, the Columbia County Drug Task Force was conducting an ongoing drug investigation involving meth in the city of Portage. Following the execution of two warrants, four people were arrested: 43-year-old Walter Madsen, 41-year-old Melissa Cardenas, 42-year-old Kenneth Perkey and 56-year-old Ryan Fraser. All are facing tentative charges of Possession with Intent to Deliver Meth, among others. Columbia County authorities ask if anyone has information about drug activity to reach out to the Columbia County Crime Stoppers. Contact information can be found with this news story at DailyDodge.com.
(Beaver Dam) After a suspension, the case against a Beaver Dam man charged with raping an unconscious female is moving forward. Last August, Steven Carrick was found not competent to stand trial on a felony count of Second Degree Sexual Assault. The court proceedings were suspended at that time and Carrick was referred to an outpatient program. Following a second competency hearing held yesterday (Wednesday), the 24-year-old was found competent. The 17-year-old victim allegedly told police that she fell asleep on Carrick’s bed and, when she woke-up, he was on top of her. If convicted, Carrick faces no more than 40-years in prison. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for September 17th.
(Dodge County) Wisconsin health officials are reporting 545 positive coronavirus cases in Wednesday’s daily update, which is 6.5-percent of the 8,300 tests announced. There are 7,328 active cases in the state, a decrease of 206 from Tuesday. State health officials recorded 12 deaths Wednesday, for a total of 1,142. Dodge County has five deaths on record and 1,200 cases, an increase of 12 from Tuesday. County health officials are actively monitoring 177 people.
(Juneau) The Dodge County Sheriff’s Office is warning area businesses of a COVID-19 scam making the rounds. Dodge County Sheriff Dale Schmidt was recently contacted by a business owner who said they received a call from a tech with Alliant Energy who said they had a disconnect order for their account. However, the business does not have an Alliant Energy account but uses WE Energies which indicated that the call was most likely a scam. Authorities’ say that scammers are targeting businesses now because utility companies are not doing any disconnects on residential accounts due to COVID-19. If a person suspects they are being scammed, they are encouraged to call the sheriff’s office non-emergency line
(Wisconsin) State Justice Officials are rolling out a new tool to help students and teachers prevent school violence. On Wednesday, Attorney General Josh Kaul announced the opening of the Speak Up Speak Out program, that will help monitor and assess threats to schools and students. The reporting tool will allow anyone to report a threat to schools to the DOJ to help speed up investigations and stop violence before it happens. You can find out more through the SUSO app on both Apple and Android, or online at W I D O J dot Gov. – WRN