News – May 19, 2020


(Madison) The Evers’ administration has withdrawn an outline for a new emergency rule to manage the coronavirus pandemic in Wisconsin. That after the state Supreme Court struck down Governor Tony Evers’ Safer at Home order, and Republicans found fault with the proposal to replace it. The state Department of Health Services released the outline on Thursday, and by Friday state Senator Steve Nass, who chairs the legislature’s rules committee, was demanding it be withdrawn. Nass said it was nothing more than an attempt to get around the Supreme Court decision.

(Watertown) Watertown Regional Medical Center announced yesterday (Monday) they have taken steps to safely resume some elective and non-urgent surgeries. The facility says decisions about which procedures can safely move forward will be made only after assessing a comprehensive pre-operative checklist and evaluating potential risks. The hospital will initially focus on scheduling patients with more time-sensitive health needs. Patients will also be asked to practice “safer at home” behaviors for seven days prior to their surgery and undergo testing for coronavirus. The hospital will also continue to screen and mask those who enter and maintain a zero-visitor protocol for the foreseeable future.

(Dodge County) Wisconsin health officials are reporting an increase of 144 cases of COVID-19 in yesterday’s (Monday’s) daily update. There is a total of 12,687 people now having tested positive. State public health officials reported six deaths bringing the total to 459. Dodge County has three new cases, bringing the total to 108 with one death on record.

(Fond du Lac) Governor Evers asked for a step up in testing for the global pandemic and Fond du Lac County is doing its part. County Public Health Officer Kim Mueller (MILLER) says they are doing routine testing at skilled nursing facilities and the County Jail, which had two inmates test positive last week. But they are asking anyone that has mild symptoms or even just one to call 844-225-0147 to arrange a screening for testing. The testing will cost you nothing. The county got some help last weekend when the National Guard collected 50 specimens during testing in Fairwater Saturday.

(Wisconsin) A group of disabled Wisconsinites is filing a lawsuit against the state elections commission over its handling of the Spring Elections. The lawsuit is being filed by a group of immunocompromised voters who were either forced to go to the polls in person on April 7th or had issues casting their absentee ballots. The federal lawsuit, filed with the help of the group Protect Democracy, seeks to have absentee ballots sent to all voters in the presidential election in November, to ensure that the elections commission is ready to get poll workers to everywhere in the state, and to increase in person absentee voting opportunities.

(Wisconsin) The Wisconsin National Guard is keeping open-testing for COVID-19 open for another week. Commanders say there’ll be at least a few more days of testing in Milwaukee, Madison, and other sites across the state to start the week. More than 11-thousand people have been tested in Milwaukee alone. The Guard says the goal is to try to get a fuller picture of the coronavirus by testing as many people as they can.

(Beaver Dam) City officials in Beaver Dam last (Monday) night approved an amendment to a resolution for a new downtown business to apply for a state grant. The common council in March approved an application for an unnamed business to receive funds through the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation for a Community Development Investment grant. Mayor Becky Glewen told the council last night that the city has to identity the business in the resolution. The council amended the previous resolution to add the name of the business, Great Harvest Bakery owned by Jim and Ruth Metz, which will operate at 128 Front Street. No word yet on the status of the grant.  

(Beaver Dam) The Beaver Dam Common Council last (Monday) night approved a company to replace the outdated phone system at city hall and the fire department. InterQuest of Beaver Dam was the low-bidder at a cost of just under $60-thousand dollars. There will also be a $628 recurring monthly charge. In casting the lone no vote, Alderman Ken Anderson said the three bids received did not have apples to apples comparisons. 

(Beaver Dam) The Beaver Dam Common Council has approved a change in agents for the liquor license at the Thirsty Beaver, which is under new ownership. The bar at 500 Madison Street sparked changes to the city’s noise ordinance after opening as an outdoor music venueThe Thirsty Beaver’s Kathy Lepple told city officials last (Monday) night that the establishment would continue as a tavern and music venue and that she is committed to running a good business that conforms to the city’s noise ordinance. 

(Columbus) The Columbus Pick ‘N Save store is expected to reopen Tuesday following a small weekend fire. Crews responded to the grocery store on Dix Street around 6pm Saturday following a grease fire in a deep fryer near the deli. There was no structural damage and no injuries were reported. Ventilation was required and the scene was cleared after around two hours. A statement from Pick ‘N Save’s parent company Roundy’s says that the store will reopen midday on Tuesday. 

(Fort Winnebago) A Portage man is accused of delivering drugs that killed a Fort Winnebago man earlier this year. Columbia County Sheriff Roger Brandner says on February 7th, his office began investigation that determined the 45-year-old male died of an opiate overdose. Yesterday (Monday), 28-year-old Samuel Osornio was taken into custody by detectives for First Degree Reckless Homicide-Deliver Drugs, Delivery of Heroin and Violation of Probation. Brandner says Osornio was on probation with the Department of Corrections for Possession of Narcotics at the time he allegedly brought the drugs that lead to the Fort Winnebago man’s death. The Columbia County Sheriff’s Office is offering a $1,000 reward for any drug activity tips that lead to an arrest.

(Fond du Lac) The Fond du Lac County Sheriff’s Department says a person posing as a member of the Sheriff’s Office tried to solicit money from a resident last week. The caller asked for the person’s address and said they would be sending her a letter for her to send in a donation. The Sheriff’s Office says it’s a scam and they are not asking anyone for donations. The Oshkosh Police Department last week also reported a scam where someone posed as one of their officers.

(­Wisconsin) Oneida Nation casinos will reopen with some restrictions next week. It will be just slots, and face masks will be required, when three Oneida casino locations reopen next week. Casino managers last week said they will reopen on May 26th, with limited games and other coronavirus safety precautions. About half of the casino’s workers will be coming back to work next week. They will all be screened before hitting the floor with guests.