News – March 29, 2016

Judge Says Housing Must Be Found For Sex Offenders

 

3/29/16 – For the time being, Robert Larson Jr. will stay at Sand Ridge Secure Treatment Center in Mauston.  Earlier this month, Dodge County Circuit Court Judge Joseph Sciascia ordered Larson Jr. be placed at N1701 Neuberger Road in the Town of Lowell.  However, it was learned last week the house was taken off the market before the state could make the purchase.  Larson Jr. was supposed to be placed there along with fellow high-risk sex offender Jonathan Miller.  This was met with opposition from members of the Reeseville community.  At Larson Jr’s hearing Monday, Judge Sciascia said he understands the residents’ frustration.  Judge Sciascia says he did not approve the plan because he personally endorses it but rather because it met the guidelines of recently passed legislation that requires offenders not be placed within 1,500 feet of any residence with children.  While there are no kids within 1,500 feet, there are 22 children that live roughly 2,000 feet away on at least a part-time basis.  Judge Sciascia says denying a suitable placement could lead to an even worse placement down the road as indefinitely detaining Larson Jr. or Miller is not an option.  He says failing to release offenders who successfully completed their treatment could lead to an appellate court declaring the Chapter 980 program for high-risk offenders illegal.  If that happens, the judge says all high-risk offenders being detained would be released without supervision.  Judge Sciascia also says Larson Jr, like Miller, could ask to be discharged at any time.  Dodge County Sheriff Dale Schmidt says it is concerning that both Larson Jr. and Miller are requesting extended supervision, even though they could be released.  Schmidt, who opposed the Reeseville placement from day one, says he needs to stay involved in this process.  He views himself as the advocate for Dodge County’s residents, much like lawyers are advocating for Larson Jr. and Miller.  At Miller’s hearing last week, Dodge County Circuit Court Judge Brian Pfitzinger ordered the state and county’s Departments of Health Services work to find suitable housing.  Both Larson Jr. and Miller have their next hearing set for May 6.

 

Mayville Homeowners To Learn Of Lateral Replacements Next Month

 

3/29/16 – Mayville residents will soon find out if they need to replace their sewer lateral.  During Monday night’s Public Works Committee meeting, city officials said the process of televising laterals to check their condition is nearly complete.  The city expects to have the results by April 8 and plans to send out notices to affected homeowners in mid-April.  Residents who need to replace their lateral will also receive a list of contractors, since the homeowner must contract independently.  When an ordinance requiring homeowners to replace their defective laterals was adopted last summer in an effort to extend the life of the city’s wastewater treatment plant, the cost placed on each homeowner was expected to be $3,000-$5,000.  City Treasurer Lois Krueger says any homeowner whose cost is over $1,000 is eligible for a loan through the city to help front to cost.  She says the seven-year loan, with interest, will be added to the homeowner’s annual tax bill.  While the interest rate for homeowners affected by this year’s projects has not been set, Krueger expects it to be around 5%-5.5%.  The Public Works Committee forwarded two other items tied to the lateral replacements last night.  The Finance Committee will consider a measure that would charge homeowners $60 per 100 lineal feet to obtain an excavation permit.  The Common Council will consider a proposal to waive that excavation fee for homeowners on blocks that are city-contracted jobs.

 

State Superintendent To Attend Randolph Groundbreaking

 

3/29/16 – State Superintendent Tony Evers will be in Randolph Tuesday afternoon for a groundbreaking ceremony.  The $18,200,000 project will expand the high school facility with the goal of moving all district students to that building.  Most of the project is covered by a $17,600,000 referendum approved last spring.  The ceremony starts at 2:30pm.

 

WCI Inmate Found Guilty Of Trying To Murder Fellow Inmate

 

3/29/16 – A Waupun Correctional Institution inmate pled no contest yesterday on charges of attempting to murder a fellow inmate.  Eric D. Conner was found guilty in a Dodge County courtroom of an amended count of felony Attempted Second Degree Intentional Homicide and felony Battery by Prisoners.  The 28-year-old was facing an Attempted First Degree Intentional Homicide charge.  Conner attacked another inmate with a ‘shank’ last February and the two exchanged punches until a corrections officer pepper sprayed Conner.  Conner placed the officer in a chokehold, flipped him over his shoulder onto the ground, and punched him several times in the head and neck area.  The officer was taken to the hospital with bleeding and scratches.  Conner told investigators that he (quote) “didn’t want to fight” and “had intentions on killing.”   He said the shank was created for self-defense.  Conner said he only attacked the officer out of anger for being pepper sprayed.  He will be sentenced March 31.

 

Beaver Dam Man Found Guilty Of Impregnating Minor

 

3/29/16 – A 24-year-old Beaver Dam man pled no contest yesterday to impregnating a minor.  Robert A. Reichwald was found guilty on one count of felony Sexual Assault of a Child Under the Age of 16.  The girl, who was 14-years-old at the time, told authorities that she had contact with Reichwald in February of 2014.  She became pregnant and gave birth that November.  Reichwald will be sentenced June 9.

 

Jury Trial Set For Waupun Man Accused Of Assaulting Infant

 

3/29/16 – A jury trial is now on the calendar for a Waupun man accused of having multiple inappropriate acts involving minors.  Robert Moungey is facing a felony count of First Degree Sexual Assault of a Child Under the Age of Twelve as a Party to a Crime.  According to an alleged note his wife gave police, the 27-year-old had pornographic images of minors on his computer.  She also claimed he engaged in inappropriate acts with an infant last March and forced her to have similar contact with a toddler.  The week-long Dodge County jury trial begins September 26.  If Moungey is convicted, he faces up to 60 years in prison.  Moungey also faces two felony child sex charges in Green Lake County and nine felony child pornography charges in a separate Dodge County case.

 

Woman Accused Of Working In Columbus While Collecting Unemployment

 

3/29/16 – A Menominee woman is facing up to ten years in prison for allegedly collecting unemployment while working at a Columbus business. Peggy Bolstad is charged with felony Theft By False Representation. The 54-year-old allegedly told the state Department of Workforce Development that she was not working between August of 2010 and June of 2011. However, prosecutors say payroll records from Prairie Crest and Prairie Ridge Assisted Living indicate that she was drawing an hourly wage while averaging between 16 and 24 hours per week. The alleged false claims total over $10-thousand dollars. Bolstad reportedly told investigators that she was sorry and did not do it on purpose. A signature bond was set at $1000 Monday and a judge will decide in May if there is enough evidence to order a trial.

 

Bond Set For Man Accused Of Sparking Drunken Chase

 

3/29/16 – Bond was set at $1,000 Monday for a Hartford man accused of leading a Dodge County Sheriff’s deputy on a drunken high speed chase. Myles Hesse is charged with felony Attempting to Flee a Traffic Officer along with second offense Operating While Intoxicated and driving with a Prohibited Alcohol Content. The 24-year-old was clocked in February going ten miles over the speed limit in the Town of Rubicon. When deputies pursued the vehicle, speeds reached near 100-miles-per-hour. Hesse was arrested at gunpoint after stopping his vehicle in the city of Hartford. He told the arresting officer he was (quote) “just being an idiot.” The deputy informed the suspect that he was observed driving 83-miles-per-hour to which the Hesse reportedly responded (quote) “at least that.” A preliminary breath test indicated his blood alcohol level to be above the legal driving limit at point-one-two (.12). If convicted, the charges carry a maximum sentence of six years in prison. Hesse has a preliminary hearing set for May 19.

 

Juneau Man Enters Plea For Cashing Cancelled Check

 

3/29/16 – A former Juneau man pled “no contest” Monday in Dodge County court to charges that he tried to cash a cancelled check worth thousands of dollars. Rick Cabrito of Idaho attempted to cash a $5200 check from an employer two years after he had the check cancelled claiming it was lost. The bank attempted to work with the 41-year-old but within a couple days he moved out of the city and was unable to be located.  Cabrito was ordered to pay restitution.

 

Famous Rabies Survivor Gives Birth To Twins

 

3/29/16 – Rabies survivor Jeanna Giese-Frassetto gave birth to fraternal twins. Carly Ann Frassetto weighed 6lb 5oz and was born at 5:33pm Saturday and Connor Primo Frassetto weighed 4lb 13oz and was born six minutes later. The babies and mother are resting comfortably at St. Elizabeth Hospital in Appleton. Jeanna Giese made worldwide headlines after becoming the first human to survive rabies without receiving the vaccination.  In 2004, Giese was bitten by a bat in Fond du Lac. She did not seek immediate treatment and was diagnosed with rabies three weeks later after being sent to Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee. Dr. Willoughby tried an experimental treatment on her, which later became known as the Milwaukee Protocol, and she survived. Giese married Scot Frassetto in September of 2014 and moved to the Fox Valley.  Giese currently works as a kennel assistant for a veterinary clinic in Appleton. Jeanna says her family is (quote) “very blessed to have these children.  We are lucky to have such beautiful babies.”

 

Beaver Dam Brush Pick-Up Begins Friday

 

3/29/16 – The Beaver Dam Department of Public Works will begin picking up brush and shrubbery cuttings on Friday. DPW Director Jeremy Klug says city residents who receive solid waste collection services can place neatly-piled, loose tree limbs and shrubbery cuttings at the street edge by 7am on their first waste collection day of the month.  Shrubbery cuttings cannot exceed seven inches in thickness and eight feet in length. Klug says if there is enough room in the tree border, limbs should be stacked so that all cut ends are facing the street. Limbs and cuttings less than 12 inches in length can be placed in clear plastic bags or 32 gallon cans. Klug says they cannot be placed in Advanced Disposal waste carts. Yard waste can also be dropped off at the DPW garage on South Center Street, which starting April 9 will be open on Saturdays. Brush pick-up continues once a month through the first collection day in November.