Malfunctioning Dehumidifier Starts Basement Fire At Town Of Calamus Home

(Calamus) A malfunctioning dehumidifier started a basement fire Sunday afternoon in the Town of Calamus. The Beaver Dam Fire Department responded to W9850 County Road G at 4:46pm. The homeowner, Teresa Maria Scott, had called Dodge County Dispatch reporting she had smoke and fire coming from her basement. Upon arrival, crews found light smoke coming from the single family ranch style house and that Scott had already evacuated the residence. Lieutenant John Jatczak says firefighters were able to make quick entry into the basement and extinguish the small fire. Crews then began to ventilate the building and monitor for carbon monoxide. Jatczak says the dehumidifier was not plugged directly into the outlet but into an extension cord. The Beaver Dam Fire Department remained on scene for just over an hour. Additional firefighters and paramedics were dispatched from the home to handle two additional EMS calls during the time of the fire. Assisting on scene were the Dodge County Sheriff’s Office and the Dodge County Emergency Response Team.