(Portage) An illegal fire destroyed a garage in the city of Portage Sunday afternoon. The Portage Fire Department was dispatched to 313 West Marion Street around 12:30pm. Upon arrival, smoke and fire was coming from the exterior of the structure. The owner initially tried to extinguish the flames, sparked by hot embers from fire pit, but was unsuccessful. Crews were able to control the blaze before it extended any farther into the structure. Fire Chief Troy Haase says the only type of burning allowed in the city without a burn permit is in a recreational fire pit and he notes that it is illegal to burn anything other than clean, dry wood. There were no injuries reported.