Hot Coals Start Garage Fire In Portage

(Portage) The Portage Fire Department battled a garage fire Sunday afternoon. Crews were dispatched to 120 East Carroll Street around 1:15pm. Upon arrival, smoke and fire was coming from the exterior garage, near its base. Portage Fire Chief Troy Haase says they were able to extinguish the blaze before it extended any further into the structure. No injuries were reported. The cause was due to carelessly discarding hot coals in close vicinity to the garage. Haase says the coals ignited combustible materials in the area and caused it to spread. He says they are asking all citizens to be carful while cooking or burning wood in the city. With the fire danger at very high level throughout Wisconsin, Haase says small flames can get out of control very quickly.

 

Photo courtesy of the Portage Fire Department Facebook page