(Columbus) The residents of Columbus Health and Rehab were safely evacuated Wednesday afternoon following a fire. Crews responded at 1:07pm to 825 Western Avenue following a fire alarm and reports from staff at the facility of a light smoke haze. Upon arrival, small flames were seen coming out of the roof near a vent above the generator room. Heat and heavy smoke were then found in the generator room.
No injuries were reported. Damage was confined to the generator room and a portion of the roof. Columbus Deputy Fire Chief and Public Information Officer Jerrod Fox says while the cause of the fire was narrowed to the generator room, how exactly the fire started is under investigation.
The scene was cleared around 4:15pm. Displaced residents remained at Zion School but are expected to return to the facility Wednesday evening. Columbus was assisted at the scene by the Fall River and Waterloo fire departments and Lifestar Ambulance while Sun Prairie Fire staffed the station.
The deputy chief commended the staff of Columbus Health and Rehab for their quick action in employing the policies and procedures learned in training for a safe resolution.