Fire Destroys Town of Westford Home

4/14/17 – Fire completely destroyed a house in the Town of Westford Thursday morning. Crews responded to the Richard and Patti Hiley residence at N8908 Lake Road at 9:22am. Fox Lake Fire Chief Aaron Paul says upon arrival smoke was visible from the eaves while flames could be seen coming through the roof. Firefighters began fighting the blaze from the outside through the soffits and once the roof collapsed they were able to shoot water into the attic and then make entry to the home. Chief Paul says efforts were complicated by the fact that the home is at the end of a dead-end road which required units to back-in their emergency vehicles and firefighters to walk to the scene. As a result, the intersection with County Road FW was temporarily blocked-off. Paul says the fire was sparked while work was being done by a local gas company that resulted in a gas leak. A spark ignited flames that traveled up the side of the house into the roof. The residence valued at $240-thousand dollars was a total loss. No one was home at the time and there were no injuries reported. The couple’s insurance company is arranging accommodations. Fox Lake was assisted at the scene by emergency agencies from Beaver Dam, Juneau, Cambria, Friesland, Fall River, Randolph and Waupun along with Adams-Columbia County Electric Coop and the Alliant Energy Gas utility. The scene was cleared after three hours.