Fire Damages Waupun Apartment Unit

(Waupun) A weekend fire at an apartment complex in Waupun was reportedly started by a cardboard box that was placed on top of a stove. Crews responded to the Mayfair Apartments on Fraser Lane just before 6pm Saturday evening. Fire Chief BJ DeMaa says upon arrival, smoke was visible in one of the lower-level units. Firefighters made entry into the apartment and found that the building’s sprinkler system had put out the fire. Damage was contained to a stove, microwave and nearby kitchen cabinet. Two tenants and three pets were able to escape without injury. Three of the other 15 units sustained moderate water damage. It took firefighters approximately a half-hour to ventilate the apartment. The Red Cross is assisting the tenants from the impacted unit.  All other tenants were able to return to their apartments Saturday evening.  Damage estimates have yet to be determined. The Waupun Fire Department was assisted by the Waupun Police Department, Lifestar Ambulance, and the Red Cross.