Dog Killed, $120K Damages Caused In Watertown Structure Fire

(Watertown) A structure fire in Watertown claimed the life of a dog and caused roughly $120-thousand-dollars in damages Monday. Just after 9:40am the Watertown Fire Department received reports of a house full of smoke at 917 Sand Street. Mutual aid was requested from surrounding departments, bringing in additional fire and EMS units as well as command staff to the scene. Fire Chief Kraig Biefeld says all occupants of the home had escaped with the exception of one dog which was located but resuscitation efforts were unsuccessful. He says the fire was found to have started in the basement which hindered firefighting operations. Crews remained on-scene until 12:39pm at which time a fire investigation was performed by the Watertown Fire and Police Departments. Biefeld says the fire’s cause was accidental due to electrical overload. A family of three was displaced and is being assisted by the Red Cross. No injuries were reported to firefighters or civilians. Assisting the Watertown Fire Department were fire departments from Ixonia, Lake Mills, Lake Mills EMS, Hustisford Waterloo, Clyman, Lebanon, Jefferson and Sullivan. Western Lakes and Hustisford Fire Department also provided coverage at the station during this incident. The Watertown Police Department was on scene to help with traffic control and firefighting efforts.