(Beaver Dam) The City of Beaver Dam along with Downtown Beaver Dam Inc is seeking applications from artists for a public art project. Beaver Dam Community Development Manager Mary Vogl-Rauscher says they have a call out to artists for designs that can be wrapped around utility boxes to make them look pretty. The goal of the project is to increase awareness and understanding of local art, promote downtown Beaver Dam as a cultural destination for visitors and to provide opportunities for local artists to showcase their work. Vogl-Rauscher says four different designs will be selected for the four utility boxes located by the traffic lights downtown. She says each artist will be paid a $200 stipend, paid from a donation that was utilized to make this project a reality. The deadline to submit an application is March 31st and artists will be notified of their selection on April 30th. Installation of the artwork will take place this summer.
Other project details include:
- Intent of artists design should be to wrap the utility box on all four sides
- Original photos or artwork only – no copyrighted material
- Design may be duplicated on more than one side of the utility box
- Preferably no borders around artwork
- Top of utility box will not be wrapped
- Production requirements may alter the final design and positioning on the utility box
- Current projection is a 5-year life span
- The artwork will need to meet the following guidelines:
o Electronic artwork can be submitted by Adobe photoshop files or in a .pdf format. 300 dpi.
o Hard copy artwork can be submitted by a photograph. If chosen, the original artwork will need to be delivered to be scanned on a flatbed scanner. Maximum allowable size is 30” x 20”. Preferred size is 11 X 14.
The selection committee will review the applications and select potential designs. Upon notification of selection, exhibiting artists will be required to sign an Artist Agreement. The selection committee makes siting recommendations. A $200 artist honorarium will be paid for each final design chosen.
- Works are appropriate for viewing by residents and visitors of all ages
- Artwork criteria are met
- Received by deadline
- Designs by local Beaver Dam artists are preferred, but not required
- Once selected, staff will work with each artist to photograph artwork.
- The City of Beaver Dam in conjunction with Downtown Beaver Dam, Inc. reserves the right to photograph and reproduce images of the work for marketing and educational materials.
- Downtown Beaver Dam, Inc. will promote the exhibit with planned events, Downtown Beaver Dam website, media releases, brochures, and calendar listings.
- Artists are encouraged to participate in interviews or other promotional activities during the installation process.
- Complete attached form and submit with a photo of artwork.
- Complete one form and at least one photo of artwork for each submission. Up to three entries per artist are accepted.
- Email the form and photos to [email protected] by Wednesday March 31, 2021.
o If mailing hard copies, they must be received by the same deadline.
- Incomplete applications and/or those received after the deadline will not be accepted.
- No application fee is required.
Resources for Questions/ Submission Address
For additional information, please contact:
Community Development Manager
This link may give you some ideas to designs: