Careless Smoker to Blame for Waupun Fire

A small fire in Waupun last Thursday was caused by a careless smoker. The Waupun Fire Department was dispatched to a Wilcox Street apartment building for a fire that started on a second story balcony. Waupun Police were able to knock the fire down with a fire extinguisher before firefighters arrived. The resident told authorities that she was out on the deck about two hours prior to the fire smoking a cigarette. She threw the cigarette butt in a plastic pot that was about half full with dirt. The cigarette butt melted the plastic pot causing the fire. The fire burnt about a 2 foot by 4 foot section of the outer wall and burnt a small hole in the deck.