Brownsville Apartment Fire Displaces Multiple Tenants

(Brownsville) A Brownsville apartment fire Sunday morning displaced multiple tenants. Read the full press release from the Dodge County Sheriff’s Office:

The Dodge County Sheriff’s Office received a report of a fire in an apartment building on Main St in the Village Of Brownsville shortly after 7:30 am on Sunday, November 28, 2021.  Smoke and flames were present in the apartment, and the entire building was evacuated.  

Deputies and fire departments were dispatched and the fire was quickly extinguished by the fire department.  The fire was limited to the apartment where it started.  However, there was smoke and water damage to at least two of the apartments, which has displaced the occupants.  The Red Cross was contacted by the fire department and has been in touch with those tenants for temporary relocation.  There were 4 apartments in the building.  

One occupant was evaluated by EMS for possible smoke inhalation, but not transported.  A child occupant received a very minor burn, which did not require first aid.

The origin of the fire was suspicious, and the sheriff’s office was requested to investigate that.  The cause of the fire was determined to have been a child using a lighter.  No criminal charges are expected at this time.  Responding to the incident were the Brownsville, Lomira, and Knowles Fire Departments, Brownsville First Responders and Fond du Lac Paramedics, and the Dodge County Sheriff’s Office.  

Press release from the Brownsville Fire Company:

At approximately 7:30am Sunday morning the Brownsville Fire Company was dispatched by Dodge County Sheriff’s Dept. to a 4 unit apartment fire at 703 Main St. in Brownsville.  Upon arrival smoke was visible coming from the South side upper apartment.  Fire crews forced entry of the 2nd story bedroom door and extinguished the fire within 10 minutes.  The fire was contained to the single bedroom. Three cats were also rescued from the building.  Crews remained on scene for nearly 2 hours assisting the Dodge County Sheriff’s department with an investigation.  The cause of the fire was determined to be a 7 year old child playing with and lighting fireworks while alone in the bedroom.

The Building is owned by H & H Properties out of West Bend.  The south apartment sustained major fire and smoke damage.  The North upper apartment sustained light smoke damage.  The lower units have some water damage.

Eight people including 3 children occupy the 4 unit building.  The Red Cross was called to assist with the families that will be displaced.

Assisting at the scene included the Brownsville 1st Responders, Lomira Fire Department, Knowles Fire Department, City of Fond du Lac Paramedics, and the Dodge County Sheriff’s Department.