Beaver Dam Woman Sentenced To Two Years In Prison For Harboring Murderer

(Juneau) A Beaver Dam woman who harbored a murderer was sentenced to two years in prison Thursday. In September, Rebecca Wolc entered a no contest plea to a felony count of Harboring or Aiding A Felon. The 33-year-old was implicated along with Nigel Schultz of Portage who was found guilty in August of First Degree Intentional Homicide in the death of Bradlee Gerke of Beaver Dam. Schultz was sentenced earlier this month to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

A property owner in Lebanon called authorities on Halloween of 2018 reporting that there could be a body in his cow pasture. He told investigators that his daughter identified the suspect as Schultz, who is her ex-boyfriend. Investigators found burned grass with spots of blood and part of a skull; Gerke’s body was found in a shallow grave in a nearby tree line covered in gasoline.

Schultz was taken into custody on a parole violation at the Lakecrest Apartments in Beaver Dam. During that arrest, Wolc made contact with police at the front door and told them that Schultz was not there. A second female eventually left the residence and she informed authorities of Schultz’s presence.

When interviewed by investigators, Schultz initially maintained that the property owner was the one who shot the victim and he only stole the victim’s phone and Food Share Card. The 21-year-old later confessed to shooting Gerke in the back of the head with a 38-Derringer and a .22-rifle. Gerke was shot ten times in the back of his head and six times in the chest. Schultz stated that Gerke was going to report him to law enforcement for an apparent parole violation.

During the interview, Schultz also implicated Dakota Schlesner of Ixonia who allegedly aided him in the attempted disposal of the body. The 21-year-old is facing a felony count of Hiding a Corpse as a Party to a Crime and she will be sentenced on January 30th.

The murder was reported on Halloween but reportedly took place three days earlier. When Wolc was questioned by authorities, she reported seeing the body shortly after the shooting and said she did not call 911 because she was (quote) “kind of scared, really kind of scared.”

During sentencing, District Attorney Kurt Klomberg said that Wolc engaged in several acts that were designed to cover up the murder, adding that she was able to mentally set aside the brutal homicide and help Schultz and bring him into her home to live with her children. Klomberg said while Wolc is not responsible for the actual homicide, she willfully made herself an accessory after the fact. He said not sentencing the defendant to prison would unduly depreciate the seriousness of the offense and would send the wrong message to the community.

In addition to prison, Wolc was placed on extended supervision for five years.