Apartment Fire Displaces Family, Causes $20K In Damages

(Watertown) A fire at a two-story apartment complex Monday displaced a family of five. The Watertown Fire Department received report of the blaze at 1153 Boughton Street around 2:28pm. When crews arrived, smoke was coming from the front door of the unit and evacuation was in progress. Fire Chief Kraig Biefeld says entry was made following engine arrival and the blaze was knocked down. He says a rescue crew entered the apartment to perform a search and located the family cat. A civilian on scene and the cat were evaluated for smoke inhalation. No injuries were reported to fighters. Biefeld says the fire was cooking related and started on the stove top. He says the damages are estimated to be about $20-thousand-dollars. Red Cross will be assisting the displaced family.