All Residents Of Beaver Dam Apartment Complex Displaced By Fire

(Beaver Dam) All the residents of an apartment complex in Beaver Dam have been displaced by a fire. Crews were called to the UMOS Apartments at 1020 Madison Street at 1:11pm Monday for a kitchen fire with flames visible. Those first on scene observed light smoke coming from first story patio entrances. Beaver Dam police officers and a Dodge County sheriff’s deputy assisted occupants with evacuation.

Smoke was determined to be coming from unit five and within seconds of making entry, crews were able knock down the majority of fire in the kitchen and keep the flames contained, though neighboring units were damaged. The flames did extend into the ceiling between the first and second floors.

All 12 units were determined to be uninhabitable due to the structural integrity of the building. In addition, power, gas, and water were disconnected due to damage from the fire. There was minor smoke damage throughout the structure.

St. Vincent de Paul of Dodge County is assisting with temporary housing. No injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire is being attributed to unattended cooking. Beaver Dam Fire Chief Michael Wesle reminds the community that kitchen fires are the number one cause of fires in the United States and the reason for most kitchen fires is unattended cooking.

The building is owned by the UMOS Corporation. The Beaver Dam Fire Department was assisted by Dodge County Sheriff’s Office, the Beaver Dam Police Department, Alliant Energy, and the Salvation Army.