(Portage) Motorists traveling in Columbia County can expect a single-lane closure on southbound Interstate-39 between Highway 16 and Cascade Mountain Road, near Portage. The lane closure is necessary for workers to position sandbags. Northbound Interstate-39 lanes remain open. Southbound I-39 travelers may encounter delays near this location.
Current state highways closed due to flooding:
- I-39 southbound reduced to one lane near the WIS 33 interchange at Portage until 7 p.m. today (Sept. 7).
- I-39 southbound ramp closed to WIS 33 near Portage. No detour.
- WIS 33 ramp to I-90/94 westbound closing at 6 p.m. (Sept. 7) No detour.
- WIS 127 closed in Wisconsin Dells (Zeitz Road and Lewiston Station Road). No detour.
- WIS 131 closed in Soldiers Grove (Pleasant Street to 3rd Street). No detour.
- WIS 131 closed between WIS 179 (Steuben) and WIS 171 (Gays Mills). No detour.
- WIS 131 closed at US 60, east of Wauzeka. No detour.
- WIS 171 closed between WIS 27 (Mt. Sterling) and US 61 (Rolling Ground). No detour.
- WIS 179, Closed, WIS 27 at Eastman to WIS 131 at Steuben.
- US 14 closed between Cross Plains and Black Earth; traffic detoured via WIS 78 and US 12.
- WIS 22 is closed at the Main Street bridge over the Montello River in Montello; traffic detoured via WIS 33, WIS 44, WIS 73 and WIS 23.
- WIS 33 closed at Albert Street in Reedsburg. No detour.
- WIS 113 closed from Washington Avenue (Baraboo) to County W. No detour.
- WIS 136 closed from WIS 33 (Rock Springs) to WIS 154 (Rock Springs). No detour.
- WIS 154 closed between WIS 23 (south of Reedsburg) to WIS 136 (Rock Springs). No detour.
- WIS 131 closed between Ontario and Rockton. Traffic detoured via WIS 82 and WIS 33.
For up-to-the-minute information on traffic conditions and current state highway closures visit 511wi.gov.
Motorists are reminded not to drive through standing water or around barriers. Be prepared to modify route as needed as many state, county and local roads are experiencing flooding.
From the State Emergency Operations Center:
While the state is getting some relief from recent heavy rainfalls that caused flooding across southern and western Wisconsin, high river levels continue to threaten several communities. The Baraboo River continues to be at major flood stage at Rock Springs and Baraboo in Sauk County. The Kickapoo River has crested, but remains at moderate flood stage at Viola, Steuben, and Gays Mills. There is also moderate flooding along the Rock River at Jefferson and the North Fox River at Berlin. No significant precipitation is expected until at least the middle of next week, which should help flooded areas dry out.
Governor Scott Walker on Friday visited with volunteers, flood victims, and local officials in Monroe and Sauk counties. In addition to viewing flooded areas in the region from the air, Walker toured a small business damaged by floodwaters in Leon and met with volunteers at a donation center that has been opened in Reedsburg to help Sauk County residents.
The governor also visited members of the Wisconsin National Guard who assisted with sandbagging efforts along Interstates 90/94 and Interstate 39 in Columbia County. The mission was completed on Friday. Approximately 160 Guardsmen were involved in the effort to make sure these important routes remain open.
Private property owners should report flood and storm damage by calling 2-1-1 or 877-947-2211. Homeowners and businesses with damages should save receipts and document damage by taking pictures. It is also important to check with your insurance agent.
Agricultural producers who suffered crop or livestock losses should contact their local Farm Service Agency office. You can find the office in each county at http://offices.usda.gov
Multiple resources designed to help residents with their recovery efforts are being posted online at http://readywisconsin.wi.gov/flooding/AUG2018.asp
The Statewide Emergency Operations Center remains elevated. The state is monitoring the situation and providing assistance to local emergency responders as requested.
Photo courtesy of Matthew Caylor