(Waupun) The Waupun Chamber of Commerce held it’s second annual Waupunies Awards on Friday. Held at the newly renovated Bridges at the Rock Golf Course, the event included a 2018 yer in review as well as an awards presentation recognizing businesses, organizations and individuals in the community. Chamber Board President, Tyler Schulz said they had great feedback from last years awards and were excited to continue the event, going on to say “It was such a fun atmosphere. We really enjoyed announcing the winners and hearing the great things they had to say about this community.”
Ten awards were presented to local businesses and community members for their respective efforts to improve and contribute to Waupun.
- New Business Award: The Parlor Hair Boutique, received by owner Ashley Vande Kolk, for impacting the downtown footprint to expand further west along Main Street, providing a new business opportunity for Ashley’s team, and being an overall welcoming establishment in a beautifully designed space.
- Small Business Award: Club Fitness, accepted by Jeff & Lisa Collien, for their work to innovate and expand their business, while they focus on the wellness and healthy improvements of the residents of Waupun.
- Big Business Award: Waupun Memorial Hospital, a member of Agnesian HealthCare, accepted by DeAnn Thurmer. This award was presented to Waupun Memorial Hospital for their devotion to making our community grow and succeed, which they’ve done by completing a brand-new facility for the Christian Home, and their continued support of sponsoring community events, and commitment to the health and wellness of the community members.
- Customer Service Award: SIA Insurance, accepted by Joel Sterk, Jordan Sterk, and Jon Venhuizen, for their long-standing service to Waupun, as well as their commitment to go above and beyond for businesses, organizations, and individuals in the community, and continual sponsorships and support of community events.
- Manufacturer of the Year: Saputo Cheese, USA, for their standing as a top dairy processor and providing significant employment opportunities to the area, as well as commitment to our community through donations such as the one recently made to Rock River Intermediate School’s fitness center. Saputo did not have a representative present to receive the award.
- Young Professional of the Year: Teresa Ruch, owner of Rock River Eyewear, for her fundamental involvement in the Chamber Board, for developing and growing the Downtown Promotions Committee and their events which include Small Business Saturday, Halloween on Main, and The Downtown Waupun Wine Walk, and for her countless and selfless donation of her time, money, office space, and talents to these events and the community in general.
- Heritage Award: Gysber’s Jewelry, accepted by Kate Bresser. This award celebrates a business’ long-term commitment to Waupun through operations, preserving tradition and its demonstrated integrity and character to represent the community. Gysber’s Jewelry has been serving Waupun since 1874, and continues to be a staple of the community through donations and sponsorships of events, for the honest and fair treatment of customers, and the desire to continue to serve in Waupun for many years to come by investing in their business and completing an extensive interior and exterior remodeling project.
- Mayor’s Choice: Gysbers Jewelry, recognized by Mayor Julie Nickel and accepted by Steve and Kate Bresser, for their many years in Waupun as a family owned business, and dedication to the entire community.
- Citizen of the Year: Kathy Schlieve, whose been responsible for so much positive change and growth in Waupun in the last few years, through her work with the CDA, BID Board, Waupun Chamber, Aging Coalition, Envision Greater Fond du Lac, Scuplt, DPC, REACH Waupun and her position with the City of Waupun as the City Administrator and Director of Economic Development. Her commitment and her love for the community shows through the work she does, and the support she gives to the citizens and business community.
- Humanitarian Award: REACH Waupun, accepted by Board President Kim Venhuizen. This award recognized REACH Waupun’s goal of raising poverty awareness in the community, and their dedication to continue to expand their programming and shed light on the other needs the citizens of Waupun have, that are sometimes unseen or overlooked.