(Beaver Dam) Beaver Dam Fire Chief Alan Mannel fought back tears as he read a letter from the mother of a woman who died in a fire at the Executive Apartment complex. The blaze this past April claimed the lives of two people, including 24-year-old Jade Wilson. Mannel read the letter this week to those on the city’s Police and Fire Commission. Louise Wilson writes that the actions of firefighters, though seemingly routine, were heroic to her whole family because they were able to remove Jade from the burning building and toxic smoke.
“You brought out her lifeless body and courageously worked to get her heart started again,” she says adding “that gave my family…precious hours with Jade and made it possible for us to say goodbye.”
The note came with a box of homemade cookies. Louise says the cookies may seem trivial but she noted that in her family whenever something is particularly delicious they say the secret ingredient is love. “I’m hoping you will find these cookies tasty because they are filled with the family’s secret ingredient,” Louise wrote.