Beaver Dam Fire Department Responds To Unusual Electrical Fire

(Beaver Dam) The Beaver Dam Fire Department handled an unusual electrical fire Tuesday night. Crews responded to reports of a sparking fuse box at 109 Stone Street just before 8:30pm. Fire Chief Alan Mannel says when personnel arrived on scene they found “sparks emitting from places that sparks do not usually emit from” including the gutters, conduits and anything attached to metal. Mannel compared the structure to a toaster and says the “whole house was energized,” preventing firefighters from initially getting inside. A hose line was used to attack flames on the outside and Alliant Energy needed to cut power to the home before attention could be turned to the interior. Mannel says he has only seen an electrical fire of this nature a couple times in his career. In past cases, he says the cause has been some type of electrical malfunction or short circuit though it is far too early to pinpoint the root in this situation and it remains under investigation. Lon and Patricia Loehning are the homeowners. Lon was the only one home at the time. He exited before the fire department arrived. The fire department was on scene for just under two hours. No injuries were reported. The couple was displaced and will be staying with relatives in Beaver Dam.